Monday, January 04, 2010

Expectations for the New Year

With the New Year firmly in place, and the hectic pace of the Christmas season behind us, it’s time to look ahead to what’s in store for the year 2010.

On the national level, we can probably expect the campaigning to begin shortly. As it is, with the Supreme Court removing the Commission on Elections (Comelec)’s restrictions on pre-campaigning, some candidates, such as Senator Manny Villar, have not lessened the frequency of their political ads in the media. I guess I can’t blame them, considering how high the stakes are. However, we, the voters, should take note of those who are campaigning at this point and take into consideration how they’re going to recoup their campaign costs.

As for President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, we can probably expect her to continue with her firming up of the culture of impunity that she’s established, with her spokespeople continuing to paint critics’ condemnations of her administration’s excesses and scandals as baseless and without proof. We can also expect her to continue paying more visits to Pampanga, where she’s filed her candidacy for Congress, and claim that she’s merely reaching out to her constituents, and not actually campaigning.

For us Filipinos, I can expect that we will continue with our daily lives as usual, dealing with whatever problems that come our way with the same bayanihan spirit with which we succored those affected by the various natural disasters that came our way last year. My only regret is that we, as a whole, don’t approach our elections with the same vigor and spirit, choosing instead candidates based on name recall and popularity instead of actual achievements. No wonder our country is a mess, as we don’t elect the best leaders, just the popular ones.

Still, we can also expect individuals and groups to emerge in order to lead us out of the chaos. One can only guess who this year’s Efren Penaflorida will be, for instance. But we can be sure that such persons will emerge to inspire us.

As for me, personally, I can expect to continue my writing, although the frequency of my posts will always be suspect, since I’m juggling a number of plates at the moment. I can also expect that I will be more aggressive in dealing with my weight, which means I’m heading back into some form of training that will help me trim down.

With a new year, and a new decade ahead of us, there is much that we will experience and deal with. Hopefully, we will be up to the task.

No comments: