Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Switching Back

I really did try to like Heart 103.5, but I’m going to have to agree with my friend Lori; the new format sucks big time. I guess the station is still going through birth pains, being new, but it’s not the same. Sure, there seem to be some interesting formats, but the music isn’t really my type. While it was on Heart 103.5 that I first heard Lionel Richie’s new song, “I Call It Love,” the DJs are well on their way to making sure that I won’t want to hear it after a few days, since the DJs are going the way of other stations, playing the same song ad nauseam. The nice thing about K-Lite was that it had a more diverse mix of music, and the DJs were conscious of not overplaying a song. Now, I seem to hear the same songs over and over.
After much debate, I’ve decided to move on from Heart 103.5, and shifted my car radio to 96.3 W-Rock, which was the station I listened to before I shifted to K-Lite. But, with K-Lite permanently off the air, and Heart not really coming up to par, at least W-Rock hasn’t done anything to its format; it’s still the reassuring mix of mellow 80s and 90s music, and light rock that I enjoy. Of course, some of the rock music I enjoyed on K-Lite I won't be able to hear on W-Rock, but at least, for the most part, the station plays music I can drive to.
If I have one complaint, it’s that, during the weekends, the station has this long segment of two DJs discussing problems with romance, which tends to get tedious after a while. Still, it’s loads better than Heart 103.5.

No comments: