Monday, March 06, 2006

Oscar Win

Scanning through the Oscar winners, I'm very pleased to see that the animated feature, "Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit," directed byNick Park and Steve Box won the best animated feature award.

It's ironic that box office hits "Chicken Little" and "Madagascar" didn't make it into the category, although I'm also glad, because I didn't really like "Chicken Little", and while "Madagascar" was hilarious at times, I guess Oscar voters probably felt that the pop culture references were too overpowering.

Another reason why I like "Wallace and Gromit"'s win is that maybe it'll remind animated moviemakers that a good film has to rely on a solid story, and not on the effects it uses, particularly computer-generated image (CGI) effects. Not that I have anything against CGI, but it seems like studios are cranking them out without thinking to package them with good stories.

Here's to crackers and cheese!

No comments: