H and I watched 'Robots' last night, and it was a fun movie. The visual effect were astounding, if a little confusing, but everything fit in perfectly. The story was your basic underdog against the evil villain, but, since it's a children's movie, I'll overlook the story and focus on the positives.
- Robin Williams was at his comedic best as usual, playing the maniacal Fender. Greg Kinnear was hilarious as the neurotic villain, Ratchet.
- I don't think I'd survive Robot City's mode of transportation, but I guess carnival ride people would enjoy it.
- The fight of Rodney's WonderBot versus Madame Gasket evoked memories of Yoda's lightsaber battle with Count Dooku.
An extra was that they showed the full trailer for 'Revenge of the Sith,' and the movie itself looks promising, perhaps even better than Episodes 1 and 2 (although this isn't saying that much). There seems to be more action and drama in this episode, which completes George Lucas' 6-part saga begun in 1977.
Other trailers that they showed:
1. "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" - directed by Tim Burton and starring Johnny Depp, this promises to be a darker version of the 1971 classic.
2. "The Pink Panther" - I have high hopes for this remake, although I really loved Peter Sellers as Clouseau. Steve Martin may equal him, but I'm not sure. Kevin Klein, though, as Chief Inspector Dreyfus, will probably shine.
3. "Ice Age 2" - this was just a short blurb starring Scrat and his beloved acorn. The movie is slated for next year, so this trailer might be a tad too early.