Monday, October 04, 2004

October Medals

This morning, we opened the Marian month with a paraliturgy for the blessing of the October Medals, the wearing of which is a tradition in the Ateneo.

The paraliturgy started with a procession of Mary's statue down the length of the Covered Courts, led by the junior basketball team (more on that later), and the special ministers for communion (if I were present last Friday, I probably would've been part of this). All the while, the choir was singing "Salve Regina," which I only realized then was the "Hail, Holy Queen" in Latin. I'd been singing it for three years with my subdivision choir, and it's only now that it occurred to me. Dang.

The Medals were then blessed and distributed to the students. I was in a bit of a quandary; some of my students weren't Catholic, so the wearing of the Medal would not be meaningful for them. I decided to simply give all of my students a Medal, so that no one would feel left out. If they chose to wear it, fine. If they didn't, also fine.

The paraliturgy ended with the singing of the Ateneo Alma Mater. The singing was slightly marred by fourth year students shouting, "Go Ateneo!" forgetting that it was a prayer and not a cheer rally.

Still, all in all, it was a wonderful opportunity to come together as a community and celebrate the start once more of our patron's month.

No comments: