Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Pistons Win!!!

Back in 1988, during the NBA Finals, I began rooting for the Detroit Pistons. I'm not sure why I did, but I guess I've always had a liking for the underdog. The Pistons lost that one, only to come storming back to beat the Lakers for the crown the next season. Another crown followed in 1990, at the expense of the Portland Trail Blazers, and the future looked bright for basketball's "Bad Boys." They would not return to the Finals for another 14 years.

This year was the year.

The Lakers, with Kobe and Shaq and Malone and Payton leading the charge, were the favorites to win it. I've never liked the Lakers, and I've never really liked Shaq, so seeing the Pistons back in the Finals was truly wonderful.

And what a series it was.

The Pistons, underdogs once more, rose to the occasion and shackled the free-shooting Lakers. Each shot was challenged. The Piston defense clamped down on the Laker's offense with a vengeance, and it paid off.

The Pistons took out the heavily-favored Lakers in 5 games, culminating in their home stadium to the delight of their fans.

Lovely, lovely.

No comments: