Wednesday, June 16, 2004

The Gall

This morning, I was nearly sideswiped, of all places, in the high school driveway. As i was crossing the driveway from my car, a van, a Revo, came barrelling into the driveway. It passed me by a whisker, and would've hit me if I hadn't gotten out of the way. It sped on, and stopped at the far end of the driveway, near the cafeteria to drop off its passnger.

Fortunately, one of my co-teachers saw what had happened, and drove up to the Revo and cut in front of it to berate the driver. The driver simply said, "Sino ba kayo?" and backed up and drove off at the same speed.

The passenger, a student, said that it was his father driving, and that apparently, he was the head of Senate security. This is what appalls me, that just because you're in a position of authority or power, it means that you are allowed to do whatever you damn please?

* * *

I have a friend working at the Senate. I found out that the person involved occupies a high position at the Senate, which changes nothing; in fact, it's becomes even worse. Just imagine. He's a government official; my taxes pay for his salary. And he thinks he's better than me? Such arrogance. And worse, he shows his son how one should deal with others.

I was told by my co-teacher that the jerk would be given a ticket and fined. Now, hopefully, he'll see the error of his ways. If not, well, it's not going to be pretty.

* * *

Well, he arrived the following morning and apologized. However, it seemed like he was trying to explain away all of the wrong that he did, and, in fact, nothing really happened at all. Looks like he was worried that it would come back to haunt him, and he needed to exercise damage control. My co-teachers and I were certain of what happened, so why is he avoiding owning up to his mistake? Ah, government officials. No wonder we don't trust them.

No comments: